Roaring into the next year (as we Zillas tend to do), we’re also entering an entirely new decade of dominance with 2020. Before we cross this threshold, we’d like to take this time to reflect on some of our big wins, industry changes and how we've grown as a business during the past 10 years. Want to see what we’ve been up to? Let’s take a stroll down memory lane!
The 10-Year Challenge
The Team in 2009...
...and the Zillas of 2019!
- Designzillas moved into our first office, affectionately called “the shoebox”.
- We had a big account win with the UCF Arena website redesign!
- We were also nominated for our first CSS Award.
- Then, we moved into our Winter Park office.
- The Zillas ventured into Drupal CMS development.
- We launched over 25 Websites!!
- Our own website, DZ10, launched and won more than 50 awards.
- Designzillas started selling SEO services to accompany our web design offerings.
- We moved again! This time to our Downtown Orlando office, where we are today.
- Designzillas started taking on more complex back-end development projects.
- We grew our team—hiring five additional developers.
- The "Zillies" award ceremony was established.
The DZ Office Back in 2011...
...Compared to Our Modern Layout in the Same Space!
- Google rolled out the Penguin update—a long-anticipated penalization on “black hat SEO” efforts (like keyword stuffing and link buying). This changed the way digital marketing agencies operated, for the better.
- The Zillas participated in our first Corporate 5K!
- We launched the Boys & Girls Club of Pikes Peak website.
- Our dev squad developed our first mobile app!
- Designzillas established three different production teams: Code Ninjas, Team Bacon and the Z-Team.
- The first baby Zilla Jude was born!
- We hosted the Zilla Pong Smash Bash Tournament.
- The company started expanding our services beyond design and development, establishing an inbound marketing team. Our entire team became HubSpot certified.
- Designzillas became an official HubSpot Partner Agency!
- We shifted E-Z Rent-a-Car’s ROI into overdrive with inbound marketing.
- To nurture our team building, we hosted a week-long Harry Potter themed event!
- Google’s Mobile-Friendly algorithm update (dubbed “Mobilegeddon”) shook the internet and changed the way we design and develop websites. Now, mobile-first is a no-brainer.
- Designzillas attended INBOUND 2015 in Boston, Mass.
- We officially launched the Buca di Beppo website!
- Designzillas won “Best in Show” in Web/Interactive at the ADDYs with the Everglades boats website. We also won a Gold ADDY for Everglades and a Silver ADDY for Buca di Beppo that year. This was our first big take-home from the ADDYs.
- We launched DZ X, the most recent iteration of our agency’s website.
- DZ adapted growth-driven design processes to focus on iterative growth for our clients.
- Kat Hughes joined Designzillas to help oversee business development.
- We moved to a new office (the little house) and adopted Ripley, our office puppy and Junior Barketing Specialist.
- The Zillas hosted another ping-pong tournament of champions!
- Habitat for Humanity hosted Designzillas for a team-building event.
- We celebrated our 10th Zillaversary!
- We gave back to our community and celebrated four-legged friends at Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando. It was a PURRfect volunteer experience for our animal-loving team!
- Designzillas hosted our first strategy workshop to dig deep into a client’s brand, audience and approach for their digital strategy.
- We also adopted the EOS model internally, paving the way for rapid and focused growth.
- We became a Gold Sponsor for one of our favorite local conferences, WordCamp Orlando!
- Our Creative Lead took home the trophy in the Mocktober Dribbble competition, hosted by Elegant Seagulls.
- We also stood up our own design competition on Dribbble called Mock the Halls.
- We initiated Zilla Cast—our YouTube web series with tips and best practices for digital marketing and user experience.
- Our design team attended their very first Creative South.
- Designzillas was awarded district-level ADDY recognition—a Gold ADDY for Lockbusters Escape Game’s website and a Silver ADDY for Crunchy Tech. We were also recognized for two silver ADDYs at the local level.
- We became hosts for Orlando Dribbble meetups.
- We established our CORE Growth Partnership—getting clients to market sooner, leaner and more strategically.
- When the new data regulation GDPR was announced, we took steps to ensure our clients were prepared, informed and compliant.
- We attended INBOUND18 to learn more and get inspired about inbound marketing.
- We were named the top web design company in the Orlando market by Clutch—a B2B ratings and reviews firm that provides unbiased market insight to businesses seeking agencies for upcoming projects.
- We also kicked off our partnership with Orlando Economic Partnership to rebrand the digital web presence for Orlando.
- We adopted the agile methodology and Scrum framework to better support growth-driven design and broke into our two teams—Pyromancers and Frost Giants.
- We moved into our new office at the SeaCoast Bank building (the same as the 2012 building, but fully renovated to support our growing team)!
- Designzillas attended five conferences between our diverse departments—keeping us sharp and on top of the latest industry trends and best practices.
- Our entire project management team became Scrum Master certified.
- Designzillas was affected by Google's March Core Update and quickly pivoted to help all our partners get back on track with SERP rankings.
- In partnership with our clients, we launched more than 15 new websites!
- We collaborated with Thrice Studio to produce stellar papercraft illustrations for our partners at abcteach.
- Google announced the BERT update, the biggest change to Google search in the past five years.
- Our two agile teams (Pyromancers and Frost Giants) grew to full force—we're now 24 Zillas strong!
- We joined AAF Orlando at the Florida Capitol to speak with our representatives and senators about protecting the advertising industry in Florida.
Coming Soon in 2020...
The digital marketing scene is always changing. What's to come in 2020? We're watching trends like virtual/augmented reality, interactive content, chatbots and SERP position zero. Want to stay in the know for years to come? Subscribe to our newsletter below and browse our blog to stay on top of the latest and greatest in digital marketing.